Monday, January 16, 2017

Week 1: Arrival

Week 1
I arrived jet-lagged but excited.  Helsinki is beautiful and there is plenty to do here.  I spent the first week just getting settled.



We live in Töölö on the western part of Helsinki, It is beautiful but incredibly hard to pronounce.  I have yet to tell a native Fin where I live and not have them look at me like they have never heard of the place.  Not a great situation when you are lost and trying to get directions home.


 Töölö!

 Our Building



Our Side of the Street

Our Library

The first night in Helsinki I hit the town with my Fulbright buddy Steve Howard to see the Lux Festival.  Artists create grand light shows accompanied by dramatic and intriguing soundscapes.  I'll post a few of my pictures/videos along with a professional one that makes my cinematography look pretty amateur.







It was tough to top the first night but later in the week we worked in the following activities:

1.  An informal visit to the Maunula School. (Link)

             Lecture-Style Classroom
     
Composting receptical in lunchroom

2.  Visit to the Fulbright Finland Office 

Steve and I out front

3. Ski at Paloheinä Recreational Centre

 Nice Tracks


4. A run around the Kausopuisto Park

 Botanical Gardens

View of Luoto Klippan Island

View from Kaivopuisto Brunnsparken Park

Along Mensatamanranta

War Monument

Icy Baltic Shore

5. Visit to a great used sports store





6. Run around Seurasaari Open-Air Museum(Link

                                      




Spirit of Place Design (Link)





That concludes the first week!  Stay tuned for more exciting Finnish adventures.




No comments:

Post a Comment